The American Legion
National Executive Committee
Voted the following Resolutions;
The electronic vote by the National Executive Committee on Res. # 5: “Vision & Mission Statement” has been concluded (a copy of the resolution is attached). There were 59 “Yes” votes, and 1 “No” vote, with the National Commander not voting due to protocol. Therefore the resolution is adopted.
We will begin to make posters of the vision, mission, values and motto for dissemination to departments and posts.
The vision, mission, and values statement will help define which topics The American Legion should issue statements about (along with the guidance from our adopted resolutions).
The “motto” does not replace “For God And Country”; it summarizes the essence of the vision, mission and values statement.
None of the aforementioned replaces the purposes enumerated in the Preamble to The American Legion Constitution, which are our ultimate guiding points.
Title: Vision, Mission, Values and Motto of The American Legion
Origin: Finance Commission
RESOLVED . . . . . . .That The American Legion adopt the following vision statement:
“The American Legion strengthens America by improving the lives of our veterans, the military and their families.”; and, be it further
RESOLVED . . . . . . That The American Legion adopt the following value principles:
• A VETERAN IS A VETERAN – which means The American Legion embraces all current and former members of the military and endeavors to help them transition into their communities.
• SELFLESS SERVICE – which means The American Legion celebrates all who contribute to something larger than themselves and inspires others to serve and strengthen America.
• AMERICAN VALUES AND PATRIOTISM – which means The American Legion advocates for upholding and defending the United States Constitution, equal justice and opportunity for everyone and discrimination against no one, youth education, responsible citizenship and honoring military service by observing and participating in patriotic and memorial events.
• FAMILY AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT – which means The American Legion meets the unique needs of local communities.
• ADVANCING THE VISION – which means The American Legion educates, mentors and leads new generations of Americans.
• HONORING THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE US – which means The American Legion pays perpetual respect for all past military sacrifices to ensure they are never forgotten by new generations.; and, be it finally
RESOLVED, . . . . . . .That The American Legion adopt the following mission statement:
“The American Legion strengthens our communities, states and nation with programs and services for our veterans, the military and their families.”;
RESOLVED, That The American Legion adopt the following motto: “Veterans Strengthening America.